The Market House Clones

A fine symmetrical building designed by William Deane Butler. It was originally built as a market house and the ground floor is arcaded.

The High Cross of Clones

The Diamond, a name given to many market places throughout Ulster. It features several distinguished 19th century buildings.

St Tighernach’s Church

St Tighernach’s Church of Ireland was built between 1823 and 1825. It replaced an old church which was in very poor structural condition.

In Clones St Peter & Paul's Abbey

Clones Abbey is a ruined monastery that later became an Augustinian abbey in the twelfth century, and its main sights are ecclesiastical.

The Courthouse Clones

Is it any wonder that the renowned novelist James Joyce occasionally found inspiration for his writing in an Irish courthouse?

St Tiarnach’s Sarcophagus in Clones

There are differing Points of view on the sarcophagus that sits at the foot of the round tower. Lets have a look at a few. 

Our Round Tower

The round tower at Clones would have originally stood at almost 23 metres in height, including the conical cap, which is now sadly missing.

Cassandra Hand Centre

THE CASSANDRA HAND FOLK AND FAMINE CENTRE is located in the wonderful Historic Monastic town of Clones.

Wesleyan Church Founder

To the back of a property half way down Cara Street stand the remains of a Methodist Chapel which was built circa 1775 

Motte & Bailey  the High Fort

Clones Motte and Bailey was constructed in 1212AD. The site comprises a conical mound with a series of terraces and is surrounded by a ditch at the base.

The Protestant Hall Clones

The Protestant Hall, which was built in 1926, was designed in 1922 by a local architect W. R. Potts.

Clones Masonic Hall

Freemasonry is a social institution which has existed in Ireland since 1725 with its three main principles of Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth.

Ulster Canal Stores Visitor centre & Bistro

The Ulster Canal was planned in the early 1800’s as an inland waterway to link Lough Erne in County Fermanagh and South Lough Neagh in County Tyrone.

Used for the sale of butter before the advent of creameries which were such an important element of the cooperative movement in Ireland.

St Tiarnach’s GAA Park Clones

In 1886, just two years after the founding of the GAA, a local club was formed in Clones by Peter McAvinney, Charles McKenna and Edmund Maguire.

Sacred Heart Church

From the confiscation of Catholic Church property in 1603 until around 1720 there was no Catholic church in Clones.

Barry McGuigan Park

The park was officially opened in February 2015 by Clones man, Barry McGuigan and it has been named in his honour.