St Tiarnach’s GAA Park Clones

In 1886, just two years after the founding of the GAA, a local club was formed in Clones by Peter McAvinney, Charles McKenna and Edmund Maguire.

In 1887 they affiliated to the GAA as the Red Hands of Ulster. This team had a short life span and was wound up in 1890. In late 1905 or early 1906 the club reorganised with Henry Murphy as President, Alex O’Neill as Secretary and P.J. Cuneen as team captain. They were affiliated under the name Clones Lamh Dearg GFC and purchased a field at Dromard. It was not until 1913 that the club changed its name to St. Tiarnach’s, which it is known as to this day.

In 1939 the club leased what is the present playing pitch from Sam Keary, eventually coming to an agreement to buy it in 1944 for £700, with an additional £500, spent on levelling, resodding and enclosing it. The blessing and official opening of St Tiarnach’s park was 6th August 1944. In an amazing sequence of events the club acceded to a request from the Ulster Council of the GAA to allow the Ulster Final between Cavan and Monaghan to be played on the new pitch on the Sunday before its official opening. The club took the decision to accommodate the Ulster Council resulting in a long and lasting relationship which has seen St Tiarnach’s Park become the home of Ulster football.

St Tiernachs Park 1944