St Tighernach’s Church Clones

St Tighernach’s Church of Ireland was built between 1823 and 1825. It replaced an old church which was in very poor structural condition.

A date stone with 1696 carved in relief on it, now set into the boundary wall, may refer to the late 17th century church. According to a map of Clones drawn in 1589 there was a ruined monastic church on this site.

Between 1850 and 1886 the church of Ireland Diocese of Clogher was united with Armagh and came under the Primate gaining the status of a Pro Cathedral. The original 1825 church had no transepts or chancel and these were added during this period. The church will always be associated with the Rev. Thomas Hand and his wife Cassandra who did so much to relieve suffering in the area during the Great Irish Famine of 1845-50. There is a memorial plaque to her on the north side of the chancel. The church has a capacity to seat just over 900 worshipers. Due to falling numbers it is opened for Sunday worship once a fortnight.